HOOTS SPRING 2017 PLAYER UPDATE
Posted by Don Johns on May 29 2017 at 05:00PM PDT
- May 30. Stanford junior Matt Winaker was named Pac 12 Player of the Week for the second time this season. Matt was 8 for 17(.471) with five runs, six RBI's, two doubles and a home run. Stanford was awarded the No. 8 national seed (40-14) for the NCAA baseball tournament and will host a four team double-elimination regional starting on Thursday June 1 at Sunken Diamond. Stanford will open against Sacramento State. The other matchups will be between second seeded Cal State Fullerton and No. 3 seed BYU.
- May 29. Sophmore center fielder Ryan Ruly, Ohlone College, was named the State Junior College Player of the Year. Ohlone College advanced to the State Junior College Final Four which was won for the first time by Grossmont College.
- April 26. Domenic Mazza, SF Giants prospect became the first pitcher in the South Atlantic Leagues history to throw a nine inning PERFECT GAME. Dom is a 22 year old left handed pitcher and retired all 27 batters he faced, had 9 strike outs, while pitching Augusta to a 9-0 victory at Lexington, Kentucky. Domenic was a member of the 2011 HOOTS Connie Mack World Sereis team and was drafted by the Giants out of UC Santa Barbara after an outstanding 3 year career with the Gauchos.
- April 26. Ryan Ruley, Ohlone College Sophmore is one of the stat leaders in the California Junior College Conference. Rules is 2nd in the State in Batting Average hitting .467, 2nd in the state in stolen bases at 28. He is the offensive leader in the entire Coast Pacific Conference, has a .534 OBP and .787 slugging with 8 Home Runs. Ohlone is 31-3 and one of the top ranked teams leading into the playoffs for the California State Championship. Ryan played on the HOOTS 2014 Connie Mack World Series Final Four team and he has accepted a scholarchip to continue to play next year at Loyola Marymount College.
- Stephen Piscotty, St. Louis Cardinals right fielder led them to a win over the Washington Nationals on April 13. Stephen homered and had 5 RBI's to avoid a sweep by Washington in the 3 game series.
- Cal Sophmore Pitcher Joey Matulovich pitched 8 innings in a 4-1 win for the Bears over the U. of Oregon on Sunday March 19 at Evans Diamond. Joey moved his record to 3-0 with a 3.18 ERA. Next up will be a start on Saturday March 25 at UCLA.
- Two former HOOTS players, Tommy Jew and Armani Smith are starters in the outfield for the Gauchos at U. of California Santa Barbara. Tommy is a red shirt freshman and Armani is a true freshman. The Gauchos are coming off a 2016 berth and one of the 8 teams at the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska. Armani is one of the offensive leaders with a .364 average. Both Jew and Smith are in the mix daily as Tommy has appeared in 14 games for Santa Barbara and Armani in 12 games.
- Ryan Anderson is leading the UC Davis Aggies offense with a .373 average, 22 hits, 3 HR and and a .422 On Base percent. Healthy after a knee injury in his first year at Davis he is showing his offensive ability much as he did during his 3 years on the HOOTS Connie Mack team while leading the team to the National Final Four at the Connie Mack World Series in 2014.
There are no comments for this announcement.