SAINTS 4 v 1 Buckie Rovers

Posted by Gordon Humble on Aug 06 2016 at 05:00PM PDT

The second game of Section 6 of the Grill League Cup saw a better performance from the previous Tuesday. A good first half performance put Saints 3-0 up at half time.

The first goal came in the 2nd minute when a Grant Munro net bound header was handled with Munro himself disapatching the spot kick low into the corner of the net. Ten minutes later a great Sam Smith pass found Craig Simpson and although a defender made it awkward for the Saints midfielder he found the net at the second attempt.

The Buckie number 7 caused most of the problems for the visitors, but it was Saints who continued to be the most likely to score again. And that came with ten minutes of the half remaining when Conran Wilson sent in a back post cross for Simpson to control, beat his man and stroke the ball into the net, 3-0.

Different story in the second half though as Buckie forced the issue from the restart. Nico Berton made a great save on a one on one with the Buckie forward looking odds on to score. Minutes later Nico made a vital save with his feet and again smothered the ball well at the feet of an onrushing Buckie player.

Against the run of play Munro hit the bar on 60 minutes just after Mike Bruce replaced Conran Wilson. Riain Findlay then went close but could not quite control the ball 8 yards out. A sweeping Buckie move down the left ended with a terrific shot hitting the Saints bar on 66 minutes.

A soft looking second booking for the Buckie number 11 saw him sent off which seemed rather harsh, but by this time the referee had become a bit card happy. Craig Peter made his debut for Saints with 20 minutes remaining coming on for Callum Wilson.

Despite being reduced to ten men, Buckie still looked dangerous and Nico had to be alert to save at his near post. On 75 minutes the hard working Simpson was replaced by Cameron Buchan. But it was Buckie who had two more chances to pull a goal back with Nico making comfortable saves from both.

But the visitors got their reward on 43 minutes when the ever dangerous number 7 made a mazy run laying the ball off for Campbell to fire past Nico. However two minutes into injury time a Sam Smith free kick was floated in and although it looked as though he had scored direct, the referee later confirmed that Grant Munro had got a head to the ball to direct it into the Buckie net.

With Longside winning their second game of the Section, it means that we need Buckie to defeat Longside for us to have any chance of qualifying from the Section to reach the Quarter Finals.

Next game is on Tuesday 9th August in our final Grill League Cup Section 6 game against Sunnybank kick off 6.45.


Team: Nico Berton, Conran Wilson (Mike Bruce), Andrew Shepherd, Darren Reid, Jack Mitchell, Jack Presly, Sam Smith, Riain Findlay, Grant Munro, Callum Wilson (Craig Peter), Craig Simpson (Cameron Bruce).  Subs: Greig Mackie, Kieran Davidson.


There are no comments for this announcement.