News and Announcements
The Commandos and the Bison took an extra frame to settle things on a windy Tuesday night at Drakes Creek Park.
HHS won the game in the bottom of the 8th as a two-out throwing error allowed Matthew Dorris to come around to score to give HHS the 3-2 walk-off victory.
The Commandos got on the board first in the first inning as Reid Nelson led off the game with a bunt single and advanced to third when the throw to first got away into the visitor bulpen. Gabe Dalton collected his first of three hits on the day to drive in Nelson and make the score 1-0 Commandos.
Hayden Mullins got the start on the mound and for a while it looked like that one run would stand up. Mullins was again solid on the mound. The junior left-hander allowed only three hits in his 6 and 2/3 innings of work, while striking out 9. Mullins left with two men on in the 7th and two outs, and the Commandos leading 2-0. Kobe Carter came on in relief and induced what looked to be the game ending grounder but a throwing error allowed two Bison runners to score to tie the game.
Brandon Tucker came on in relief of Carter in the 8th with one out and got a ground out and a strikeout to keep the game tied 2-2. In the bottom of the 8th with one out Harrison Williams and Hayden Layne reached on back to back singles. Matthew Dorris came on to pinch run for Williams and Dorris scored the game-winning run as Nate Vaughn grounded into what looked to be the inning-ending double play. The relay throw to first got away and Dorris came around to score to give the Commandos the 3-2 district win.
Gabe Dalton led the way offensively with three hits including a double and an RBI. Hayden Layne and Reid Nelson had two hits each for HHS.
With the win HHS improves to 12-2 overall and 4-1 in District 9AAA. HHS will next play at Station Camp at 7:00 on Wednesday April 4.
Congratulations to the following young men for being named to the Rawlings/Perfect Game Pre-season Underclass All-American Team for 2018...
2nd Team - Hayden Mullins
High Honorable Mention - Cameron Hansen
Honorable Mention - Hayden Layne and Gaylen Rutledge
This is a great honor for these young men and our program!
The Commandos made their yearly trip to Gulf Shores, AL for the Gulf Shores Classic and finished the week 3-1, just shy of making the playoffs of the 40 team tournament.
The Commando pitching staff was solid for the week with Cameron Hansen, Brandon Tucker, Hayden Mullins, Caid Sanders and Eric Altizer combing for 28 IP, 30K, 12H and only 2 ER.
At the plate the Commandos were led by Hayden Layne who had 5 hits for the week including a HR and 4RBI. Reid Nelson, Brett Coker, Harrison Williams and Gaylen Rutledge all had 4 hits each with Williams collecting 8 RBI.
HHS improved to 11-2 while on the trip and will next play vs Station Camp at Drakes Creek Park on Tuesday April 3.
The Commandos come in to the week of April 2nd ranked 2nd in the first Tennessee Baseball Report All-Classification Poll.
First All Class Poll of 2018
Another week gone by, another update to the Power 25.
A couple of notes on the new poll:
- A new team has taken the top spot, as Brighton continues to just win, improving to 15-0 after winning the Gulf Coast Classic this week. 7 of their 15 wins have come by 10 or more runs, with only one game being decided by 1 or 2 runs, a walk off win against Harding Academy on March 20th.
- Tennessee is your biggest riser this week, jumping from 20th to 8th on the strength of a 5-0 week. They have a huge 2 game district series this week again 20th ranked Science Hill, who is coming off of a 5-1 week themselves.
- Gibbs is your top debuting team, checking in at 19 after a 6-0 week, improving their overall record to 13-1. 9 of their 13 wins have been by 10 or more runs.
- First Assembly Christian School (FACS) and Grace Christian Academy - Knoxville also debut this week.
- FACS is coming off of a 2-0 week, which included the 2nd of back to back no hitters on Monday. They have a big 2 game series this week against 7th ranked USJ, who is currently 11-0.
- GCA-Knox is coming off of a 6-0 week to improve to 14-3. 7 of their wins have been by 10 or more runs. They will have a very intriguing matchup against Gibbs this week on Thursday.
|3/26 Rank||4/2 Rank||Team||Record||This Week|