Clear Lake downs Galveston Ball 78-61

Posted by Donald Wilkerson on Feb 02 2004 at 04:00PM PST
The Galveston Ball Tornados came prepared and well equipped to twist the Falcons into knots in their first meeting of the season tonight in the Lake gym. There were two fouls called on Lake in 22 seconds. By the first four minutes of the first quarter, Nandi Wijay and Connor Atchley each had 2 fouls on them and Galveston had 1. You could almost hear the Clear Lake crowd thinking “uhh oh, here we go again”. The only thing missing was for Dan Rieke to get in foul trouble early as well. But that is not what happened. In a very close contest throughout the first half, Lake would score then Galveston would score or vice versa. The spread stayed close and the game was tied five times in the first quarter. Not only did Lake’s Dan Rieke not get a foul called on him in the quarter, but it seemed like he was scoring every time he touched the ball on offense. With Atchley sitting out early, Rieke took over. He scored 8 points in the first quarter and had several key rebounds. At the end of the first quarter, it was Galveston 20, Clear Lake 18. In the second quarter it was more of the same as the excitement continued. The Tors early strategy was to platoon the Falcons with frequent waves of substitutions and wear down the Falcons’ tenacious defense. The Tors would score a few, then the Falcons would score a few more. But this time it was not only Rieke who stepped up but Micah Walker who sparked his team. Throughout the half when Galveston would get behind, their #24, Gordon Ward, would crank up a 3 point shot and hit nothing but net. Again, the game was tied five times in the quarter and the lead changed hands probably twice that many. At the half it was Lake 35, Galveston 33. There were 18 fouls called in the half. Could have been much worse. After some half time adjustments by the Falcons and getting Atchley back in the game, the Falcons extended their lead to nine with 2:48 remaining in the third quarter. Throughout this game the Falcons did a better job of emphasizing the pass in to the inside man and thanks to a 9 point output from Connor Atchley in the quarter, the Falcons outscored the Tors 20-15 to close the quarter at Lake 55, Galveston 48. In the final period the game stayed close but with almost four and a half minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, Atchley got two quick fouls called on him in 35 seconds so he was forced to the bench with 4:08 remaining in the game with Lake ahead 63-55. Scott Oswald and Dan Rieke controlled the quarter with help from Micah Walker, Aaron Greenwood and the reserves. With 2:33 remaining in the game it was still a 9 point difference in Lake’s favor before Lake decided to take advantage of the tired Tors and started to increase their lead. Lake outscored the Tors 23-13 to make the final score 78-61. Scoring for the Falcons: Dan Rieke 18 pts. (11 rebounds), Connor Atchley 14 (6 rebounds), Micah Walker 13 (6 rebounds), Scott Oswald 11, Aaron Greenwood 9, Dennis Cerny 6, Ross Mahler 3, Nandi Wijay 2. The Falcons were 29 of 51 from the field and 17 of 20 from the charity stripe, a remarkable turnaround from last Friday’s performance. imageimageimage


There are no comments for this announcement.