Clear Lake routs Rangers

Posted by Donald Wilkerson on Jan 12 2004 at 04:00PM PST
THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED HERE DO NOT HAVE THE APPROVAL OF THE SCHOOL'S ADMINISTRATION OR THE COACHING STAFF. The smell coming from the Clear Lake gym tonight when Baytown Sterling (5-13) met the Clear Lake Falcons (17-6) was not the Sterling Rangers. The Rangers had a fire in their belly because they wanted badly to beat the Falcons. They really wanted it. Nor was the smell coming from the Falcon team. They played well enough to outclass the Rangers and the game was decided in the last four minutes of the second quarter. The smell was coming from the officials. One senior official and two junior ones combined to poorly officiate another 5A contest. Being a basketball official is a very difficult job but this is getting tiresome. What can you do? How can we remind these officials to try harder? Must we remind them at every game that these players are working too hard to be robbed by casual, anticipatory calls replete with guesses rather than what they saw? Fortunately, this was one game where having officiating which is not up to par can be afforded. All we can hope for is the quality of the officiating will improve once district play starts next week. Not likely, but we can still hope. Anyway, the game started out as expected, sorta. Lake took an early lead but someone forgot to tell the gamey Rangers that they were suppose to lose. With 3 minutes remaining in the first quarter, Baytown gained the lead 10-8. From there the lead changed hands two more times in the quarter. With 1:30 remaining in the first, the foul count went from 7-1 to Lake 8, Baytown 4. At the end of the first period, the score was Baytown 17, Clear Lake 14. The second quarter started out the same way. The lead changed hands three times in the first three minutes. Then Lake pulled ahead 24-22 and then really went to work. The Falcons held the Rangers scoreless for the remainder of the quarter. Clear Lake outscored the Rangers 28 to 5 in the quarter to put the score at 42-22 at halftime. It was 62-39 after 3 and the final score was 87-59. The Falcons were merciful or it might have been much more lopsided. The game was sprinkled with many questionable foul calls or no-calls but at least the officials did not determine the outcome of the game. Clear Lake got excellent play from everyone and everyone scored. Chris Mitchell went 6 for 6 for a team high 14 points. Connor Atchley had 12 points and 12 rebounds. Gordon Abner went 5 of 6 for 12 points. Armie Lewis had 10 points, Nandi Wijay had 9, and Dennis Cerny had 7 points. Aaron Greenwood had 7 points, 12 rebounds, 3 steals, and 3 blocked shots. Wow! Dan Rieke had 6 and Scott Oswald and Micah Walker each had 4 points. With five minutes remaining in the game, Ross Mahler, mostly recovered from a hip pointer, came in and scored 2. imageimage


There are no comments for this announcement.