News and Announcements
Engrave Your Name in the History of Huntsville High Students
Leave a lasting tribute to your memorable years at Huntsville High!
Parents and Grandparents - honor that special HHS Senior!
Alumni - mark your place in the history of Huntsville High!
When you visit our school, you will see them - HHS Commemorative Bricks! These everlasting tributes to the students, alumni, or staff of HHS are exceptional! To order, simply fill out an order form (located on the forms page or in the band room), attach your check, and return it to the address on the form. Your brick will be professionally engraved and installed in the main courtyard entrance of Huntsville High School. Customize your message as you choose from large or small bricks. You will receive a $10 credit for each large brick sold and $5 for each small brick. Contact Shelly Corbett with any questions.
To access your student account information on the Charms Music website---enter parents's area, school code = HuntsvilleHSBand, then enter your Student Area password. If you have problems accessing your account, please contact the HHS BPA President.
Click below to enter website:
School Code is "HuntsvilleHSBand"
Please send all checks made out to HHS BPA and have your student deposit it in the box in the band room.
All students will receive a show shirt to wear under their bibber as part of their uniform. The cost of this shirt is included in your band fees.
New students will recieve marching band shoes with their uniform. Any returning student who needs new shoes can trade their old usable shoes in at no cost for new size or purchase new shoes for $35.
Also visit the forms page for additional information regarding care, cleaning and replacement costs for uniforms.
Uniform Committee Chairs are April Chapman and Erin Boles.
You can contact them at the following email: email@example.com
Mr. Tankesley was raised in Huntsville, Alabama. Prior to HHS, he was the Assistant Band Director at James Clemens High School for five years. He holds a Master of Arts degree and Bachelor of Science degree in Music Education from the University of Alabama. While at James Clemens, the Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and Marching Band never received less than a superior rating in its short history. They were also invited to perform in the 2017 London New Year's Day Parade and the 2016 Alabama Music Educators Association Conference.
His duties at JCHS included marching band, concert band, team-teaching competition marching band, and class piano. He also started the choir program. Before James Clemens, he spent four years teaching band and choir at Discovery Middle School, where the Wind Ensemble and Choir consistently received superior ratings, including performing at the state music conference in 2008.
In addition, Mr. Tankesley has served as an adjunct faculty member at The University of Alabama in Huntsville and as a music director for musical theatre productions throughout the community. He is an alumni of Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps out of Fort Mill, South Carolina, and a former conductor of The Tuscaloosa Winds Community Band in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. In summer 2011, he served as a technician and instructor with a community jazz band on a three-week performance tour of China. In 2012, he created Madison Music Camp - a summer music camp for middle school students that has grown to 200 students participating every year.
Besides music, he is a huge sports fan, loves to work out, travel, and go see musicals. He and his lovely wife, Anna, live in Hampton Cove, Alabama with two adorably mischievious dogs - Weezer and Indy.
Mr. Stuart Tankesley
2304 Billie Watkins Avenue
Huntsville, Alabama 35801
256-428-8050, Ext. 190
HHSBPA GENERAL MEETING
April 1, 2014
Rich Arnold, President, called the meeting to order at 7:35 p.m.
Rich Arnold, President
· This is the last official meeting of the year. The Awards Banquet May 9 will be the next time we’ll be together.
· Rising seniors are needed to be section leaders for band camp.
· CALENDAR: April 7: Jazz Band practice
April 8: Trip Band Mini Camp for Williamsburg trip; this is MANDATORY; Sectionals 3:30-5:30 p.m.; Dinner Break; Full Band 6:30-7:30 p.m.
April 9: All State Super Solo contest at 7 p.m., UAH Roberts Hall
April 10-12: All State bands at VBC (Free from 1-3:00 p.m. on April 12)
April 10: deadline for solo ensemble
April 14: Jazz Band rehersal
April 15-18: trip band 3:30-4:45
April 21: Jazz Band rehersal
April 22-23: Trip Band, depart for Williamsburg on April 23 at 7:00 p.m.
April 24-27: Williamsburg, VA trip
April 28: Flag and Drum Majors tryouts start
May 3: Solo Ensemble; cost is $5 per event
May 6: Spring Concert
May 9: Awards Banquet
May 23: Graduation at VBC, 5:30 p.m.
May 27: Freshman band camp begins
· Approval of 2014-2015 BPA Officer/Committee Slate:
President: Rich Arnold
1st VP Chaperones: Andrew White
2nd VP Fundraising: Yvonne Meier/Open
Treasurer: Susan Pendergrass
Secretary: Tracy Lovik
Communications: Christy Robinson
Uniforms: Lisa McCrary
Color Guard: Cathey Patneaude
VBC Liason: Mary D’Arienzo
Concessions/Bricks: Shelley Corbett
Trips Coordinator: Open
Credit Keeper: Lauren Carter
Web Master: Tim McElyea
Hospitality: Stephanie Thomas
Equipment: Ben Davis/Ben Neighbors
*Rich requests consideration for all open positions.
Dr. David Spencer, Band Director
· Discussed above calendar
· Participants in the All State Super Solo contest will be Clay Brown and Gus Arnold. Please come to see a fantastic performance on April 9!
· Interviews for new band director will start soon. Many applications have been received!
· Some of the band bricks have been temporarily been moved from the courtyard for 9th Grade Academy construction.
· He was able to move the Williamsburg performance from early Saturday morning April 26 to Friday April 25 at 7 p.m.
Andrew White 1st VP Chaperones
· He has all of the chaperones for the spring trip.
· No more chaperones are needed for the rest of the year.
Cynthia Smith, 2nd VP Fundraising
· She asked for someone to consider the open 2nd VP fundraising position and thanked the group for allowing her to serve.
· Football Media Guide sales will occur over the summer; emails with details will follow. The guides are sponsored by the Football Booster Club. They give the band a sales goal to solicit ads from local businesses. An approved list will be provided; businesses not listed are “fair game.” Students receive a percentage of the ad sold as an account credit added to NEXT YEAR’S ACCOUNT (2015-15). There are no caps on ad sales.
Rebecca Brooks, Treasurer
· ALL BAND FEES MUST BE PAID BEFORE STUDENTS ARE ALLOWED TO GO ON SPRING TRIP TO WILLIAMSBURG.
· April 7 is the deadline for payment of trip fees.
Marcy Simon, Secretary
She is moving to GA over the summer and thanked everyone for allowing her to serve.
Barbara Bozeman, Communications
She made an announcement for Tim McElyea, web master. Senior pictures for the senior video are due April 9, this is a firm deadline.
You can put picture CD’s in the band box. PLEASE LABEL CD’S WITH STUDENT NAMES.
Please consider adding future plans for senior students so this can be included in the video.
Lisa McCrary, Uniforms (not present)
She will be issuing concert uniforms for trip soon. PLEASE NOTE THAT BOYS GOING ON TRIP WILL NEED TO PURCHASE A WHITE TUXEDO SHIRT.
Mary D’Arienzo, VBC Liason
· She needs more wrist banders due to graduating seniors.
· VBC Concessions are going well. Money earned works the same way as wrist banding.
· She’s working on organizing another vendor training class.
Jennie Davis, Trip Coordinator
· She has list of what each family owes for the trip.
· She’ll send out a suggested packing list.
· Students will need a bag to put changed clothes from the performance since they will be leaving afterwards for the dinner cruise.
Shelley Corbett, Brick Chairperson
· The second order of bricks will be installed by the end of the week.
Ben Davis, Equipment
There will be 2 drivers for next school year. Rich encouraged someone to volunteer as a third driver in case a back-up is needed.
Rich Arnold adjourned the meeting 8:15 p.m.