News and Announcements
see attached document.
Field events begin at 8am.
Congratulations on an outstanding regular season!! The coaching staff is so proud of you for your hard work, dedication and performance during the 2017 season. I am personally completely blown away at the marks you all were able to achieve and the depth of our team overall.
Tomorrow begins a brand new season. The goal from here on out is to survive and advance. Please do your best to get plenty of rest, stay hydrated and eat quality meals every day to make sure your body is at its optimal performance level.
Here is the schedule moving forward. I will be sending a detailed time schedule out this Tuesday of when your event is, as of now I do not have the field events or exact time schedule until after our league meeting tomorrow night.
- 9am Saturday May 6th, – EBAL Trials @ Granada High School (All EBAL Qualifiers will compete on this day with the exception of some field events, no relays)
- 9am Saturday May 13th – EBAL Finals @ Granada High School (You must advance beyond EBAL Trials in order to compete in this meet in the running events. All Relays will run on this day. The field events not contested on the 6th will compete on this day. End of Frosh/Soph Season
- Saturday May 20th – NCS Tri-Valley @ Foothill High School
- Saturday May 27th – NCS Meet of Champions @ UC – Berkeley
- Friday/Saturday June 2nd and June 3rd - CIF State Track and Field Championships
Below are all of the events that you qualified in, there is a 4 event maximum – tomorrow at practice we will have a scratch meeting and you will be able to let us know if you would like to scratch any events to focus on others, with your event coaches input. Please let me know if you see any mistakes. We have until Tuesday to finalize entries.
Qualifiers by Event
Parents and athletes, Please let me know ASAP if you are not available on any of the next 3 Saturdays. This information is imperative in our preparation and will adversely effect our time if not communicated.
Dear Athletes and Parents,
Please read to the end!
1) Last Practice: For all those athletes who do not qualify for the League Championship meet, this Friday, April 28th, will be your last day of track practice. Come to practice for a season wrap-up with your coaches. Remember, Click this link to see a report showing which athletes have qualified to date by division (F/S or Varsity) -- you can also see who is close.meet is your last chance to qualify.
2) NorCal Frosh/Soph Meet Results: Congratulations to our Frosh / Soph who represented the Mustangs well at the NorCal Frosh Soph Championship Meet this past AdkinsTrakWest website. Check out the team Instagram account for some highlights.. The results are in XCStats. Most meet results can be found on the
3) Pasta Feed: Wednesday, April 27th in the Commons. We still need 12 people to bring pasta. Click here to sign up!
- 6 people to bring pasta with red sauce (with or without meat)
- 6 people to bring pasta with white sauce (with or without meat)
Bring food donations to The Commons between Check Sign Up Genius if you forgot your assignment..
4) Rivalry Meet Against San Ramon: Come on Mustangs! Let's stomp on those Wolves!
- Where: San Ramon Valley High School
- When: Athletes will be excused from school early (around ) and will ride buses to SR. Meet starts promptly at . Meet expected to end about .
- What to Bring: Don't forget to bring your uniform, spikes, warm ups, sunscreen, snacks/dinner, money, and water. Snack shack will be open.
- Dismissal: All athletes must stay until the end of the meet to cheer on the 4 x 400 relays. Many meets are decided by the final relays.
- Parents & Fans: This will be an exciting battle for cross-town bragging rights. It will also be the last time this season to see your athletes compete in Danville. (The EBAL Championships will be held in Livermore.) So come on down and cheer on your Mustangs! Show school spirit and wear your red and black!
5) Sacramento Meet of Champions: Details have been sent separately to the small group of 11 varsity runners who will be representing Monte Vista at this meet.
6) League Meet Information: Save the dates! The EBAL Championship will take place on(Prelims) and (Finals) at Granada High School in Livermore. As mentioned above, only those athletes who have achieved a qualifying mark by will participate. Each school in the league is assigned an aspect of the meets to manage / run. This year, Monte Vista will be in charge of the Triple Jump. We will need several volunteers to help us mange this. If your athlete is participating in the league meet, we need your help.
Triple Jump Prelims start time for Field Events, start for runningPrelims:
Triple Jump Finals start time for Field Events, start for runningFinals:
Please sign up for a shift as soon as you can. Parents of sprinters, jumpers, throwers, and distance runners ALL need to help (not just triple jump parents).
7) Mark Your Calendars:Awards Ceremony. Stay tuned for more details.
I so enjoy cheering on your amazing kids - my favorite part of the job. As a parent of an athlete, I know how exciting and fun it is to watch your child work hard, strive to improve, and succeed. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Frosh/Soph meet and to being able to announce new PR's soon. But as I spend my Friday night writing you a budget email, I also reflect on how we, as parents, make sports possible. Years ago, sports used to be paid for by schools. But it hasn't been that way for a long while. I don't like the new system where coaches have to do fundraising, but, here I am doing it, for the love of the sport and your youthful athletes. I'm afraid our serious budget issue persists.
The Bare Facts
- About 65 of our 260 track families have not donated
- We need to raise thousands more dollars just to cover our basic, already-reduced budget for the rest of the season (details below my signature)
How You Can Help (Will You Help? Please?)
- Click here now to donate ANY AMOUNT online -- New! Any amount!
- New item on the webstore allows ANY amount (not just the $245 suggested amount)
- Ask if your company can match your donation (reply and I'll give you instructions)
- Donate again, a little bit more, if you already donated earlier this season
How Your Athlete Can Benefit
- The coaches can spend more time working with athletes and less time begging for funding
- The athletes will have the equipment needed to support their success
- No more worries about a bare-bones team party with no food (if we raise our goal, we can restore food for athletes to our team 'banquet')
Please take a moment to consider your athlete and your family budget. Please make a donation to support our team and keep Track & Field alive and well at MVHS. Any amount is appreciated! $245 is the suggested amount. (And if you've donated already, thank you again!)
With sincere thanks,
Our team is not paid for by the school or district. Our team counts on parents to donate to pay for almost everything (the district covers the stipend for the head coach and very little else). We would not have sports at all at Monte Vista if it weren't for the donations of the parents whose children participate. With a suggested per athlete donation of $245, the Track & Field team is one of the better sports bargains at MV. For little more than the cost of a cafe latte a day, our athletes are learning how to run faster, throw farther, and jump higher while learning life lessons about work ethic, teamwork, and character, not to mention experiencing the fun of cheering for a teammate in a thrilling 4x400 relay or making a record-breaking jump.
As mentioned above, we are still having budget problems. It's as frustrating to me as it is to you. The school office says we are in the red and twice in the last two weeks, we have not been allowed to order needed equipment / supplies. We've been forced to hold off ordering items altogether until we can raise more money.
Before spring break, the school's bookkeeper told us that not enough track families have donated to help us reach our parent-funded 2017 track budget. We've had a few families send in donations (thank you!) , but just a handful, not the dozens and dozens of families that we need.
Meanwhile, we have a long list of things we haven't paid for yet:
--Buses to this week's San Ramon meet
--Season-end trophies / recognitions
--Decorations and food for our banquet
--Equipment (including much-needed tents, 4 poles for vaulters who don't have an appropriate pole for their height / weight / ability in our existing collection, air horns, hardware to fix blocks, and other misc. day-to-day needs)
Coach Kindell and I have been trying to find ways to trim our already very modest budget. It's not easy. We combed through the budget and cut some items (such as food at the banquet) with the hope of being able to restore them if our team families can come through and raise the money. I also spoke to the MV Athletic Boosters organization to seek their help. (Note: boosters will already be giving us over $1,000 from the Crab Feed proceeds). At their next meeting, MVAB's board will consider a grant to our team to share the cost of the poles and tents we need. If approved, they could kick in up to 50% of those purchases.
Please take a moment to consider your athlete and your family budget. Please make a donation to support our team and keep Track & Field alive and well at MVHS. Any amount is appreciated! $245 is the suggested amount. Click here now to donate ANY AMOUNT online