News and Announcements
- Athletes: They will leave MV around on buses. Please bring your uniforms, spikes, running shoes, SWEATS, healthy snacks and homework.
- Volunteers: Those who volunteered for the meet are still needed. Please plan to volunteer at Cal High. You will check in with me and then be assigned as needed. Because this is a last minutes shift, Cal High needs our help staffing the events. Thank you!
- Senior Night: This will be moved to our rescheduled home meet.
We ask each family to have a parent volunteer for AT LEAST 1 meet and 1 event (per student, so if you have two or more children on the team, please volunteer accordingly). Thank you in advance for making this track season possible with your volunteer support!
MVHS Track uses the website "Sign Up Genius" to organize our parent volunteers.
Visit our Mustang Track & Field Sign Up Genius page to view available jobs and to sign up.
Dear Parents and Athletes.
Welcome to the 2017 Track and Field season! The coaches are looking forward to an exciting and rewarding season for Monte Vista!
Below you will find a lot of important information. Please read through it carefully. Visit our team's website for handouts and additional information. My name is Heather Sheppard. I am the parent of a two athletes and I will be handling team admin and communications. I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
1) President's Day Alert: There WILL be practice on Monday, February 19th at 3:30pm
2) Mandatory Parent Meeting: Plan to attend this important meeting on Wednesday, February 21, 2018 at 7pm in the MV theater. We will go over the season, learn about the budget, hear from the coaches, order uniforms and talk about the schedule.
3) Spirit Wear: Spirit Wear is on sale 2/12-2/19/18. This is how your athlete will get MV track warmups, etc. Please see the attached flyer for the details and instructions on ordering.
4) Volunteer Sign ups: We have many opportunities for parent involvement! Our team is large and track meets are events with lot of moving parts. We also have team dinners, senior night, etc. Opportunities to be a part of this exciting team are managed through Sign Up Genius. Watch for the emails! The link will also be on the website. We ask each family to have a parent volunteer for AT LEAST 3 items (per student, so if you have two or more children on the team, please volunteer accordingly). Thank you in advance for making this 2018 track season possible with your volunteer support!
5) Team Website: Visit the Team Website on eteamz for the calendar of events, volunteer info, photos, handouts, nutrition info and much more! This is a separate website from XC Stats (see below) which is where all of the athletes times are recorded. You need to visit both sites.
6) Calendar Subscription: If you would like to synch the track calendar with your iOS device click on this link. You can add it to your Google calendar by clicking here and then clicking the +Google on the bottom right.
7) XC Stats Required: If you are getting this email, and you are a parent, then your athlete has successfully registered for XC Stats, which is the software our team uses for: email communication with parents and students, attendance tracking, performance tracking, and training logs. Please spread the word to team newcomers who may not realize the importance of XC Stats, especially any families whose athletes are coming into the track team late due to winter sports or being cut from a spring sport. The instructions for how athletes can register for XC Stats are right on the home page of our track team website.
8) Team Schedule / Meets: The team schedule can be found on our team's website. PLEASE NOTE: we are going to be updating the team calendar and ADDING meets (or confirming tentative meets). For example, this year the Dan Gabor meet will be offering field events. Yay! This first invitational is open to all athletes. More details will follow when they are available. This will be our first large meet of the season. (Note: we will likely be taking only a small number of varsity returners to the DLS "Super 7" Meet.)
9) Facebook: Like our Facebook page to see team photos and check in with how team is doing throughout the season.
10) Uniform Requirements: Athletes must we ar school-issued uniform shorts and a school-issued uniform top. Kids can use their own black or red warm ups or jackets if they don't want to purchase the optional team jacket. The Track Jackets are purchased through the spirit wear sale that starts 2/12/18. No need to purchase a new uniform if athletes own a prior season uniform or a cross country uniform. Any of those are acceptable. To purchase a new uniform, fill out the participation/uniform form that will be handed out at the parent meeting. You will be able to pay by check that night or have your athlete give it to a coach with a check at practice. Sizing will be determined by the athlete and coach. The coaching staff recommends that athletes have either specialized spikes or "multi purpose" spikes with 1/8 to 3/16" pyramid-style spikes. Athletes should ask their coaches for more info on shoes.
11) Practice / Bring Warm Ups, Good Training Shoes to Practice Daily: Practice is DAILY from 3:30 to 5:30. Athletes need warm ups every day and supportive shoes (Nike Frees and inexpensive running shoes not generally good enough). Athletes need water and snacks and runners should have a digital watch (nothing fancy is needed).
12) Practice Attendance: Athletes are expected to practice 5 days a week (unless they miss school due to illness). Track practice is never canceled unless there's lightning. If they miss too many practices, they risk being cut (even if absences are planned in advance for reasons such as tutoring, medical appointments, etc.). Attitude, behavior and effort play a big role in coaches' decisions regarding cuts due to absences. If an athlete will not be able attend practice daily, he or she should speak to his or her coach immediately. To notify coaches of planned absences, use XC Stats. Log in and click on "Request or Notify Coach of a Planned Absence."
13) Important Wet Shoe Tip: Practice is not cancelled for rain so chances are your child will come home with wet shoes. It is very important to dry them out daily. Another parent shared a great tip to put the shoes over the heater vent in the floor. You could also put them on a rack in the dryer.