Games to be played in Phase 3
June 29, 2020 UPDATE: Youth baseball and softball will be able to start playing games in Phase 3 of the State’s reopening plan! As Governor Raimondo announced earlier this week, games can be played in phase 3 – between teams, both within and out of Rhode Island, with no limit on overall group size, and spectators will be allowed at games, with social distancing and masks as reflected in the Governor’s guidance documents. For South Kingstown Little League, this means that our divisions that have been practicing this past month will now be able to play games when phase 3 begins, hopefully next week!
Our Seniors, Juniors, Majors and Minors baseball and softball divisions have all been practicing these past weeks, optimistic that games would be able to be played starting in July. So we are thrilled that our players will be able to play soon, with the season running until mid-August. The SKLL board and division coordinators have been working hard to come up with game schedules and a COVID-safety plan so our players will continue to be safe out on the field, whether during practices or games. A few important things to note:
- You will hear directly from your team’s manager with your player’s game schedule.
- As part of the uniform, all players have received an activewear face covering to be worn as outlined in the Governor’s guidelines. The coverings have been purchased by SKLL and can be worn over the face when needed and left around the neck while playing. It was important for us to provide something the players could keep on them throughout the game. This will minimize the opportunity for players to lose them while playing and mitigate the possibility of cross-contamination. During Phase 3, the face-covering is not required during the game as long as they are in the field of play or can maintain 6 feet of distance. We ask your player to wear these every time they come to a game.
- All spectators and visitors to the fields must also wear face coverings and maintain 6 feet distance from non-family members.
- Players cannot share equipment such as gloves or helmets. Players are encouraged to use their own bat, but team bats will be provided and wiped down after each use.
- SKLL has prepared a Covid-19 Safety Plan for Games specific to our League that will be in place for our players, coaches and volunteers so that families will continue to be assured of a safe return to Little League baseball and softball games.
- Concession stand may operate based on the safety plan submitted by the operator.
We welcome any questions regarding these guidelines and our policies moving forward. Please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or check with your team manager if you have any questions. Thank you all for your patience as we continue through this most unprecedented time. We hope you know the welfare and safety of all players in our league is of the utmost importance to us and we appreciate your ongoing support as we kick off the next part of the season. We look forward to seeing our SKLL families at a game soon!
The document SKLL_Covid_Safety_Plan_-_GAMES.pdf was attached to this post.