News and Announcements
Nov 4th - EBAL Championship Meet at Shadow Cliffs Regional Park
- Sr Meredith Corda wins the Varsity Girls race in 17:11 which is the 4th fastest time ever on this course.
- JV Girls put 5 in the top 6 to dominate their race with a low score of 16
- F/S Girls take 2nd - just 3 points off of first
- Varsity Girls 3rd place, Varsity Boys 4th, F/S Boys 4th, JV Boys finish 5th.
- On the day, 15 Mustangs earn All League Certificates (see 2016 Results for the full list). Results on XC Stats and on Athletic.net.
Team Results (in order of races)
Frosh Soph Girls: 2nd Place
Frosh Soph Boys: 4th Place
Junior Varsity Girls: 1st Place
Junior Varsity Boys: 5th Place
Varsity Girls: 3rd Place
Varsity Boys: 4th Place
Individual Race Winners in all three girls races!
Frosh Soph Girls Race: Melanie Kim
JV Girls Race: Catherin Kiser
Varsity Girls Race: Meredith Corda
Mustangs earning All-League Honors:
Frosh Soph Girls: Melanie Kim (1st), Josephine Lee (4th)
JV Girls: Catherine Kiser (1st), Paige Moldenhauer (2nd), Karalyn Sawchuk (3rd), Olivia Bame (4th) Ciara Friesen (6th)
Varsity Girls First Team (top 7): Meredith Corda (1st), Sidney Isom (7th)
Varsity Girls Second Team (top 14): Madalyne Coney (11th), Alex Wilson (13th), Kelli Wilson (14th)
Varsity Boys First Team (top 7): Tristan Miller (4th), Nicolas Vomund (5th)
Varsity Boys Second Team (top 14): Daniel Maneloveg (12th)
To: Courtney Corda <email@example.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:23 PM
Subject: XC Newsblast #9: EBAL Championships, Season End Activities
Dear Runners and Parents,
Wow! We're almost at the finish line for the regular season. This Friday is our East Bay Athletic League Championship Meet -- the excitement is building for our runners to have their best races of the season! Next week we have three end-of-regular-season activities. Read on for details.
Practice at 3:30 This Thursday
There is a minimum day tomorrow but practice will still take place at 3:30 as usual.
EBAL Championship Meet this Friday
- Team Shirts: All athletes are asked to wear their team t-shirts to school on Friday in a show of team spirit and unity.
- Release: Students will be released at 10:45; they need to change quickly and report immediately to the buses. All students must make arrangements with their teachers regarding tests and assignments.
- Buses There: All athletes must travel to the meet by bus. Buses leave for Shadow Cliffs at 11 sharp.
- What to Bring: Uniform, sweats, plenty of water, snacks, and a good full lunch.
- Location and $6 Parking Fee: The meet is held at the Shadow Cliffs Regional Recreation Area in Pleasanton. Each car entering the park will have to pay $6. If you don't mind a ten minute walk to the park, you can park for free at the BMX park on Stanley Boulevard or on the back side of the park on Old Vineyard Ave/Park Access Road. Parking in both of those areas is limited. Arrive early; traffic can back up entering the park.
- Course Map: Check out the course map.
- Race Schedule: The coaches have told athletes in which race they will run.
- Frosh/Soph Gilrs’ Race 1:00PM
- Frosh/Soph Boys’ Race 1:35PM
- Junior Varsity Girls’ Race 2:10PM
- Junior Varsity Boys’ Race 2:45PM
- Varsity Girls’ Race 3:20PM
- Varsity Boys' Race 3:45PM
- Buses Back / Dismissal: Especially at this meet, all must stay until the conclusion of the awards ceremony (it should be over at 4:45 or 5); please do not ask the coaches to leave early. "All League" awards will be given for the top 7 F/S, top 7 JV, and top 14 Varsity. Athletes may leave with their family or may take the bus back to MV.
Season Recap Team Meeting Monday, Nov. 7
There will be a 30-minute season recap meeting on the track for all athletes on Monday, Nov. 7. (Running clothes not necessary.)
Team Banquet Tuesday, Nov. 8
- Where: Round Hill Country Club, 3169 Roundhill Rd, Alamo, CA
- When: 6:30 - 9 (program includes dinner followed by awards, senior picks, slideshow, season recap)
- Dress: No jeans please.
- For menu and additional details see the Sign Up Genius for the event
BorderClash Wednesday, Nov. 9
Modeled after the famous Nike BorderClash where Washington's top runners race Oregon's top runners, the first annual Monte Vista - San Ramon BorderClash will take place at Osage Station Park in Danville. The Mustangs and Wolves will start on opposite ends of the park and run directly at each other until they meet in the middle and turn 90 degrees to race to the finish line of this flat, fast, 2-mile course. There will be no sharks, no jets, and no Officer Krupke at this friendly "rumble", but it should be a lot of fun for the kids. The run is optional, but if runners want to participate, they MUST RSVP by email to Coach Mandee by Sunday so that we can arrange enough carpools to/from the park. Participating students should meet on the track at 3:30 next Wednesday.
Courtney Corda, Asst. Coach on behalf of all the coaches
To: Courtney Corda
Sent: Sunday, October 30, 2016 3:42 PM
Subject: XC: RSVP Needed ASAP for Team Banquet
Dear Runners and Parents,
Will you be attending our team's banquet on Nov. 8* at 6:30 p.m.? We need to know right away.
- Athlete on the team: no fee (but feel free to donate $20 to help cover costs - see below donation section)
- Parent or guest who is eating: $26
- 12 or under guest who is eating: $20
- Guest who is attending BUT NOT EATING: no cost
- Can't Attend (for student athletes)
- Quick general donation $20
- Cake sponsor $25
- Banquet booster $50
- Road runner booster $100
- Any amount donation
P.S. Help needed at the League Meet! Please sign up on the Sign Up Genius here.
P.P.S. Details about the League Meet can be found on our team's main website at www.eteamz.com/mvhs and on the EBAL Championship Sign Up Genius page. More information will be shared at practice this week with the runners and I will send a newsblast mid-week.
The Center Meet at Newhall Park this year had the feel of a good size invitational, as the newly expanded league welcomed Dougherty Valley and Dublin into the mix this year. Already one of the top leagues in Northern California, some are now calling it one of the few "super" leagues in the State. With teams from the EBAL winning the last seven years of NCS titles in D1 (both boys and girls) the league is even stronger this season with most all of the teams dropping into Division 2. On the girls side, Granada, San Ramon Valley and Monte Vista all have a shot at the top 5 in the state. On the boys side, Granada and Dublin came in highly ranked, while MV carried the 17th best State ranking, all divisions, going into the meet.
As the Mustangs have done all season - it was another strong, balanced performance today, with top three finishes in 5 of the 6 races including FIRST PLACE in the JV Girls and Varsity Boys race - the latter representing a big upset by the VB's! In meet order, the teams finished as follows:
- Frosh Soph Girls: 2nd Place (one point from 1st!!!)
- Frosh Soph Boys: 3rd Place
- Junior Varsity Girls: 1st Place
- Junior Varsity Boys: 6th Place
- Varsity Girls: 2nd Place
- Varsity Boys: 1st Place
Individual Race Victories for Josephine Lee and Karalyn Sawchuk:
There is absolutely nothing more exciting for a coach (or parent, or teammate) than when the lead runners reappear after being out on the course - and there is a red and black uniform leading the way!! This happened twice again on Weds, as Frosh Josephine Lee emerged from the second loop with a big lead, eventually winning the FS Girls race by 29 seconds! In the JV Girls race, teammate Jr Karalyn Sawchuk was literally all by herself as she dominated the race with a 45 second marging of victory. Her 20:46 time would have placed her in the top half of the varsity race! After the Mustang performances at the Nike Invite earlier this season, it's clear that Newhall Park is a favorite for the team.
Josephine Lee (left) and Karalyn Sawchuk (right) claim EBAL Center Meet wins today!
The Varsity Boys are the big story today, as they edge new EBAL rival Dublin 57-62. Last week at Clovis, Dublin ran the fastest time every by a North Coast Section team on the Woodward Park course. Today however, it was the Mustangs who put together the best team performance. Sr Tristan Miller moves up big in the last mile to grab 3rd place, just ahead of Dublins top runners. Daniel Maneloveg is next in 6th while Nick Vomund is 10th. Soph Matthew Kim is 4th in 18th place, while Sr Ben Smiley runs his best race of the year to nail down 5th man - 7 spots ahead of Dublin's 5th runner. The time is by far the fastest ever for a MV boys team at Newhall, breaking the mark set just weeks ago at the Nike Invite. The battle looms for EBAL's and NCS!
The Varsity Girls run a strong, balanced race to take 2nd today, only behind state ranked Granada. Jr Alex Wilson is the surprise story today, as she takes top honors with her 6th place finish. Alex has put forth an impressive season and keeps getting stronger each race. Meredith Corda is right behind her in 7th despite suffering from being sick. Two varsity newcomers this year - Soph Sidney Isom and Frosh Kelli Wilson - are 3rd and 4th today as they continue to race like seasoned veterans. Audrey Coney is 5th runner in 13th place with varsity teammate Cat Kiser right there in 14th. Granada runners take 1st, 2nd and 3rd today with their 5th in by 12th place - an impressive performance and clearly now the team to beat in the EBAL.
Full Results posted on XC Stats (as always). Individual races posted via MileSplit.com
|MVXC - Top 5 MV times at EBAL Center|
|Girls Frosh/Soph||Boys Frosh Soph|
|Josephine Lee||1||21:29||Austin Pendergraft||5||17:34|
|Sumin Lim||3||22:16||Jason Serduke||16||18:20|
|Lilliam O'Keefe||5||22:33||Ethan Pendergraft||20||18:31|
|Holly Meineke||11||23:11||Mateus Dutra||25||18:56|
|Sabine Salles||16||23:34||Sam Milham||29||19:13|
|Girls Junior Varsity||Boys Junior Varsity|
|Karalyn Sawchuk||1||20:47||Cade Hammond||25||18:15|
|Cheyenne Friesen||3||21:52||Ryan Long||29||18:39|
|Megan Bjeldanes||5||22:23||Grant Meehan||31||18:45|
|Criara Friesen||8||22:31||Benjamin Wilson||32||18:50|
|Siena Bowen||16||23:32||Joshua Elliott||33||18:50|
|Girls Varsity||Boys Varsity|
|Alex Wilson||6||18:55||Tristan Miller||3||15:31|
|Meredith Corda||7||18:56||Daniel Maneloveg||6||15:41|
|Sidney Isom||8||18:59||Nicolas Vomund||10||15:53|
|Kelli Wilson||11||19:06||Matthew Kim||18||16:11|
|Audrey Coney||13||19:08||Benjamin Smiley||20||16:18|