ALL Umpires- please ensure you wear appropriate colours for the teams you are umpiring as well as to be seen cleary (i.e. red vs white, wearing orange/ yellow) dark colours are not ideal as typically you blend into the benches or bleachers, however also keep in mind of the weather, which I know makes this all tricky.
- Ensure that the score is accurate and that goal scorers are identified
- Ensure that all disciplinary cards (G/Y/R) are documented clearly and any Y/R are reported to email@example.com and myself.
- Player of the Game are to be checked off in the appropriate column on the game card (each card should have two checks) the captain from each team will pick one player on their team and one from their opposition
- Although the captains are responsible for checking their opponents scorecard, ensure that the number of players identified as “playing” the game matches the actual number of players ready to play
Men's League (league rules attached)
The VIFHA will have two divisions this season: Competitive: Vikes, Tigers, Mutineers, Rebels 1; Recreational: Hawks, Marauders, Rebels 2
We have set up a designated player system similar to the Vancouver league. For those who are unfamiliar, there is one simple caveat regarding player eligibility:
- Competitive teams have 9 designated players listed on their roster. These players may not play in recreational games.
We've made a significant change to last year’s rules to help build club structures. The borrowing of players can no longer happen between clubs. With the exception of the rule above (regarding the 9 designated competitive players), Rebels 1 & Rebels 2 can fully share their rosters, Mutineers & Marauders can fully share their rosters, and Tigers & Hawks may fully share their rosters.
Things umpires need to know:
Umpires are not required to enforce any of the above rules. Knowing them will allow you to adequately assess the accuracy of the game cards.
Although the captains are responsible for checking their opponents scorecard, umpires are strongly recommended to diligently oversee this. Ensure that the number of players identified as “playing” the game matches the actual number of players would be a good thing to check.
Ensure that all players have numbers on their jerseys (required for competitive teams).
Ensure that the score is accurate and that goal scorers are identified.
Ensure that all disciplinary cards (G/Y/R) are documented clearly and any Y/R cards are reported to the administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Request that the captains take a photo of the completed game cards and text/send them to the league administrator.
Other things to note:
- There are several intra-club exhibition games throughout the season. The teams will typically mix-up their rosters to have an enjoyable game. Game cards do not need to be accurate for these games and the scores don’t need to be recorded.
- UVIC Men's Games will play 17 minute quarters, 2 minute break between quarters and 5 minute half-time, teams will only switch ends at half time